FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
 
IMAGES
 
click on the thumbnail to view a larger image

 

Although certainly no longer a point of concern, for much of its tenure on Chippewa Square the First Baptist Church congregation resented the presence of a theater directly across the square, feeling it was a focal point of sinful activity in Savannah.  The 1818 building, designed by William Jay, burned in 1948.  Photo courtesy of the Georgia Historical Society.

The Women's Missionary Union has sponsored a variety of activities to raise awareness and offerings for missions.  In 1949 a group of WMU members and some male volunteers performed an elaborate biblical pageant.

1949.jpg (41664 bytes)

The beauty of the sanctuary makes it a popular place for weddings.  Mary Stubbs stands with her father Marcus in the narthex before her marriage to John Tyson in 1952.

 
Luncheon in the fellowship hall
c. 1962
 
 

37.jpg (29352 bytes)

At various times in its history, the church has turned over its leadership to the members of the youth group.  Youth would fill a variety of positions in worship from song leader to minister.  Here Forrest Lanier turns over his Bible to Youth minister John Rabun, Jr.

Dwight Bruce was  a man for all seasons.  He was not only a dedicated part-time organist but also enjoyed a successful career in broadcasting

Untitled-2.JPG (948893 bytes)

Duffy Street Baptist Church begun as a mission of First Baptist Church in 1887.  The church became separate in 1898.

31.jpg (26017 bytes)

The story of faith began in a simple structure.  Through the years we have built, repaired, increased, and refurbished God's church.  Now two hundred years later we continue on the pilgrim's way from sidewalk to rooftop and all in between.

Next Page

back

home

Savannah Images Project