Although certainly no longer a point of concern, for much of its tenure on Chippewa Square the First Baptist Church congregation resented the presence of a theater directly across the square, feeling it was a focal point of sinful activity in Savannah.  The 1818 building, designed by William Jay, burned in 1948.  Photo courtesy of the Georgia Historical Society.


back