The Martello Tower

 
 
This sketch of the Martello Tower shows the occupation of the tower by Union forces during the Civil War. The Martello Tower was constructed of tabby in 1815 and was in use until 1915. The round construction is reminiscent of the forts of England.
 
A photograph of the Martello tower under Union occupation during the Civil War, 1862.

Back
Next
Tybee Main Page
Savannah Images Project