Battery Hambright

A submerged minefield guarded the entrance to the Savannah harbor in the late 1890's. The mines were anchored to the bottom of the Savannah River; floating above each mine, but below the water surface, was a buoy. When passing ships hit the buoy, an electrical signal would be sent ashore to the mining casemate in Fort Pulaski. In 1899, the War Department, in order to provide additional protection at this point, constructed Battery Hambright. The battery held two emplacements for three-inch rapid-fire guns. This picture shows the mines being placed in the Savannah harbor in 1898.

Back
Next
Tybee Main Page
Savannah Images Project