This battery was one of the principal
gun emplacements on Fort Screven and was armed with one twelve-inch rifled
gun, as shown in this picture, mounted on a non-disappearing carriage.
Two officers and forty-seven men were required for operation of the gun.
The gun was mounted on Battery Garland in 1899, and remained on the battery
until 1942, when it and other obsolete guns were melted for reuse during
World War II.
Tybee Main Page
Savannah Images Project