The French Flag over Tybee
The first flag raised
on Tybee Island after the discovery of the New World was the flag of France.
As early as 1603, French traders came to Tybee Island to trade with the
local Native Americans.
The French flew this flag
from 1400 until 1590. In the early sixteenth century, the French royal
flag was blue with three gold fleurs-de-lis representing directly the shield
in the royal French coat of arms.
translates to "Flower of the Lily."
Tybee Main Page
Savannah Images Project