Armstrong Atlantic State University

Image Catalog

Thomas Gamble, Mayor of Savannah and founding father of Armstrong.

Gamble1.JPG (6459 bytes)

The Armstrong Mansion, as seen from neighboring Forsyth Park

2slide.JPG (3465 bytes)

The Armstrong Mansion

3.jpg (3910 bytes)

Armstrong College and Jenkins Hall, built to provide an auditorium for the college and named for Herschel V. Jenkins, Savannah newspaper owner and publisher, and generous patron of the college.

4.jpg (4765 bytes)

Opening day faculty and staff, September 1935

5.jpg (4265 bytes)

Otis Johnson, the first African-American student admitted to Armstrong in the summer of 1963, shown here at an alumni function in 1996.

6.jpg (2821 bytes)

The new campus on the southside of Savannah, as it appeared when occupied in 1966.

7.jpg (4442 bytes)

The Board of Regents, in May 1963, approved the conversion of Armstrong into a four-year institution.

8.jpg (3853 bytes)

The program swap resulting from the Plan for the Further Desegregation of the University System of Georgia, as depicted in the Armstrong student newspaper, The Inkwell.

9.jpg (4947 bytes)

In conjunction with the change to university status, a number of Armstrong faculty proposed that the college change its name in order to indicate a regional identification.

10.jpg (4397 bytes)

University Hall

11.jpg (5664 bytes)

With the change to University status and the adoption of the new name as Armstrong Atlantic State University, a compass logo became the institutional insignia to set the course for the new directions of the future.

12.jpg (4264 bytes)

home.GIF (4374 bytes)  history.GIF (4347 bytes)
siplink.JPG (3262 bytes)